While lots of jokes are made about erectile dysfunction, it isn’t the ones suffering from it who are laughing.
ED, sometimes called impotence, is estimated to affect about 300 million men each year. While some lifestyle changes can prevent erectile dysfunction, other times erectile dysfunction is a sign of a more serious underlying condition, such as heart disease.
For most men, the idea of being unable to get an erection is totally unacceptable. It’s uncomfortable and often leads to embarrassment and shame. If you experience erectile dysfunction on a regular basis, talk to your doctor.
While approximately 17 percent of men over 60 experience ED, it’s not considered to be a normal part of aging.
Best Ways to Prevent ED
How to prevent impotence? Prevention of impotence looks straightforward. Have a healthy weight. Have regular sexual intercourse. Improving your diet can also aid in avoiding impotence. Specially formulated foods may help you in slimming down and increasing the function of your reproductive system.
If this doesn’t work, you may need to consult a doctor to discuss more specific treatments of impotence.
Here are a few ways you can avoid ED. Most of these include lifestyle changes:
- Healthy Lifestyle – If you are overweight, work to lose that extra weight slowly and safely. Eat a diet that includes plenty of fresh produce. Quit smoking and avoid drinking to excess. Moderate exercise and stress reduction can also help to ward off the ED.
- Control Chronic Illness – Diabetes and cardiovascular disease are two of the biggest culprits when it comes to ED. Keep your blood pressure at healthy levels and your blood sugar levels as low as possible. Take your medication as directed and manage your cholesterol levels, as well as blood sugar levels, through a healthy diet and exercise program.
- Don’t Neglect Your Mental Health– For some men, emotional stress or mental issues can lie at the very heart of ED. Depression can also be a factor, as well as feelings of anxiety. Talk to your doctor about getting help with these issues.
Are There any Treatments for Impotence?
If lifestyle changes are not effective, there are other ways to treat erectile dysfunction.
- Prescription Medication – There are several types of medication that can help improve a man’s erection. Some of these drugs, such as Viagra, Stendra, Levitra, and Cialis, have been shown to work in more than 65 percent of men suffering from ED. Cialis is the drug of choice for many as it lasts as long as 36 hours. For some men, however, medication is ineffective, especially for those who have had prostate cancer surgery.
- Natural Impotence Treatment Pills – Unlike prescription medications, these natural products include essential amino acids, vitamins, minerals and herbal extracts that are clinically proven to treat impotence. Natural pills are known to provide no side effects that can often be found in case of other ED treatments such as prescription medication or surgical options.
- External Devices – If a man does not respond to medication, there are external devices, such as external vacuum pumps, medicated urethral systems, and penile self-injection therapy. Although effective, most men find these options require extensive planning and are difficult to use, which makes spontaneous sex virtually impossible.
- Penile Implant – Men who do not respond to medication and find external devices difficult to use, might want to consider the internal penile pump implant, more commonly referred to as IPP or even the inflatable penis. This device is implanted in the penis in an outpatient surgical setting. The bulb for inflation is inside the scrotal sac and by pumping for a minute or so; the fluid is pumped into the penis. The erection can last until the man decides to un-inflate the device. Once inserted, the pump need never be removed. Spontaneous sex can be achieved, erections can last as long as the couple wants and normal sensations, such as ejaculation and orgasm, are not affected by the implant.
- Erection Treatment Creams – These creams are designed to provide a quick solution to the problem of erectile dysfunction in men. Unfortunately, this type of products for impotence treatment provides only a temporary effect for the sufferer.
Medications Side Effects
Side effects from erectile dysfunction drugs vary among drugs, and a doctor’s experience and judgment are needed to decide which are most appropriate. It may be tempting to try a new, expensive drug for erectile dysfunction. However, your doctor may want to try a drug first that has not had any side effects, particularly if the patient has had other problems such as hypertension, heart disease, or diabetes, the drug have no practical effect, or there are no alternative medications that can help.
However, the risk of worsening erectile dysfunction is greater with a new medication than with an older, more established option.
Natural impotence treatment pills are used by men to treat their symptoms of impotence (sexual inability to have an orgasm) without side effects of prescription medications.
With natural impotence treatment pills, a man takes a pill every morning or before sexual intercourse to achieve and sustain an erection.
The key to an erection is the hormonal buildup of testosterone. The impotence pill ensures that the testosterone and estrogen balance, thus providing a natural hormone balance that will help men with male impotence.